How to Prepare Legal Reasoning for CLAT?
CLAT legal reasoning section is designed to test the candidate's interest in the study of law. It evaluates the candidate's legal acumen to the highest level. In order to crack CLAT 2020, it is crucial that the candidates score well in this section of the exam. Hence, they must understand the significance of good preparation. This article provides all the important information regarding the section of Legal Reasoning of CLAT and how to prepare for it.
CLAT Legal Reasoning: Important Topics
CLAT 2020 legal reasoning section will include a number of passages. While attempting these passages candidates should keep the following things in mind
Try to identify and infer the principles and rules given in the passage.
Once these principles are identified apply them to different fact situations.
Understanding how changes to the principles or rules may make amends in their application to different fact situations.
New Exam Pattern for CLAT UG 2020
Earlier the numbers of the question in CLAT were 200. In CLAT 2020 the number of questions has been reduced to 150.
CLAT UG 2020 will now on have the below-mentioned sections:
- English Language
- Current Affairs and General Knowledge
- Legal Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Techniques
CLAT 2020 Legal Reasoning Syllabus
- Study of law
- Research aptitude
- Problem-solving ability
- Questions based on hypothetical situations
- Important court decisions
CLAT 2020 Legal reasoning: Overview
- The legal reasoning section will consist of approximately 35-39 questions.
- For every correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded and for every incorrect answer 0.25 marks will be deducted
- This section will include questions based on legal comprehension. The passage will be related to any static or current legal issue followed by 5- 6 questions.
- The questions will be both straight forward questions and Legal Reasoning based questions.
- The straight forward questions will test the ability of the student to put forth the best conclusion or supporting argument related to the legal issue discussed in the passage. This will require excellent and unbiased comprehending skills of the students to answer such questions.
- For the legal reasoning section, students will be given hypothetical situations and will have to decide the case applying the legal knowledge provided to them in the passage.
Legal Reasoning Topics for CLAT 2020
- Candidate must continuously invest time in reading articles related to static and current legal issues.
- Focus on the legal issues from last 10 months and read about them.
- Special attention should be paid to landmark judgments and important cases from the last year.
- Read about all the new amendments and enactments done in both monsoon and winter sessions of the parliament along with contemporary issues like LGBTQ rights or the death penalty which have been a part of the news in the last few months.
- Reading about static and current legal issues prior to your CLAT 2020 will help you in understanding the passage easily and at a much faster pace during your final exam.
- Secondly, you might land up in a situation where you are running out of time and cannot invest the last three-four minutes left in reading the entire passage. Here, your prior basic
Understanding of the legal issue will be of great help as you might be able to answer a couple of questions even without reading the entire passage word to word.
- Improve your legal vocabulary including legal jargons, legal terms, foreign phrases, and maxims.
- To improve this area, go through the list of such terms with their meanings multiple times will help.
- Lookup for a term if you do not understand the meaning. Practice this will preparing for the legal passages.
CLAT Legal Reasoning: Tips and tricks
- Read the comprehension first and then attempt the question. Do not read the hypothetical situation first this will prevent you from forming any opinions and you will be able to answer in an unbiased manner.
- The view of the author is paramount. Do not superimpose your view while answering the questions.
- Always go with an answer which has clear reference in the passage.
- Do not miss any Mock Tests or any practice test provided to you. There are no proper reference books available on the new pattern and the only source to practice these questions are the tests provided to you. So take the tests seriously and try to improve your legal comprehension skills through these tests.
- Work consistently on your reading skills.